24-Hour Global Hackathon: IoT Disruption in the Insurance Industry
Our gift to you in these challenging times: Open and Free for Insurers, Reinsurers, Brokers, Insurance-Related Startups, and Academia.
Cookhouse Labs is hosting its first virtual 24-hour Global Hackathon event focused on IoT and insurance on July 30/31, 2020!
This year’s Hackathon is designed to bring a diverse group of student teams and insurance organizations together to tackle some of the challenges of IoT in insurance. Analysts see the Internet of Things, or IoT, as one of the most powerful disruptors of insurance. Although the industry is aware of the importance of IoT, 70% of insurers say IoT data is important to their company’s strategy (LexisNexis 2018), while only 5% of insurers are currently using the IoT data available to them. It is time to bridge this innovation gap, and this is why we invite you to participate in this free virtual Hackathon!
Who can attend?
- Academia and insurance organizations from all over the world! Each team must have between 3 to 5 participants to compete in this Hackathon
- Insurers and Brokers who are unable to provide a full team can instead become mentors, providing industry expertise to a student team. In this case, our event team will assign an insurance organization to a student team
How does it work?
- Register your team using the registration form below, and we will get back to you with further details
- Prior to the Hackathon you will receive access to our virtual Hackathon Assistant, where your team will be given your own team page
- Our facilitators will guide you through the Hackathon process and will provide valuable information, templates, and support on how to apply the Design Thinking methodology to drive the best results for your solution
- You will receive the challenge at the beginning of the Hackathon
- At the end of the Hackathon, each team will present their solution in a joint final presentation to a wider audience, and the winning team will be selected and announced by our committee of insurers
When is the Hackathon?
- Start: Thursday July 30th, at 8 am ET
- End: Friday July 31st, at 9 am ET
- Final Presentations: Friday July 31st, at 9.30 am ET
What’s in it for you?
- Learn the Design Thinking methodology, as well as how you can apply it
- Gain tips and tricks from certified experts featured in our virtual Masterclasses
- Show your skills and impress our judges with your team’s extraordinary results
- Build Lo-fi prototypes to show the opportunities of IoT insurance
- Connect with experienced innovators (local and international)
- The achievement of conquering a 24-Hour Hackathon!
What’s the prize?
Cash prizes will be awarded to the top three ideas!
- First Place: $2,500 CAD
- Second Place: $1,000 CAD
- Third Place: $500 CAD
Prizes are awarded per winning team.
First place: A $2,000 voucher for an individual and customized virtual Design Thinking session hosted by the Cookhouse Labs Expert Team.
Please do not hesitate to reach out to Insiya Meherally, our Events Support, at email@example.com!